A Highlandtown parish since 1923
Little has changed in the infrastructure since the church's building back in 1923 and the gymansium in the 1960s. It is now time to rebuild the church property. Rebuilding is necessary to keep the church and church property safe, modernized, and efficient.
In August 2018, the Parish Council announced the start of the Rebuilding Pompei campaign. It will be a multi-phase campaign over the next three to five years. It will be no easy task to renovate such aging infrastructure, but we are confident that as a parish, we will all come together as we write the next chapters of our life at Our Lady of Pompei. in October 2018 and January 2019, young men and women from Italy joined our parish for three month intervals. They are part of OMG volunteer groups, and came to Baltimore to help with renovation work.
The first parish goal was to raise $50,000 by the January 1, 2019. That was a lofty goal in a short amount of time, but the parishioners had tons of support. Operazione Mato Gross committed to financial support Our Lady of Pompei with subsidies for major renovation cost. The Archdiocese of Baltimore contributed a $100,000 grant for the first phase of renovation.
During this time, the second collection at each Mass is designated for renovation and maintenance. Offerings from this collection will help defray the renovation costs.
While property renovation is a key focus, Rebuilding Pompei is about much more. Our Lady of Pompei is committed to rebuild the church building, the church community as one, and the Italian heritage that built this faith community.
The parish has really come full circle - founded to serve Italian immigrants, we continue in our missionary roots, by continuing to welcome and serve immigrants. Our Italian heritage remains strong as every priest, but a few, who has ministered at Our Lady of Pompei, have been Italian.
Young or old, long time or new member, school alumni or friend of the church - everyone connected to Our Lady of Pompei is helping to rebuild!
How can you help?
- Make a donation directly to the Rebuilding Pompei Campaign, either monetary or in-kind.
- Donate your time and talents, or donate your services if you own a business.
- Increase your offering a little to the second collection at each Mass which is designated as the Restoration and Maintenance collection. Money collected from the Restoration and Maintenance collection goes directly to offset costs for repairs and renovations to the church property.
- Volunteer and get involved with one our ministries!
- If you are not a parishioners and looking for a church home, we invite you to give the gift of continual support - register with the parish, attend Mass, and get involved.
Repairs and renovations of the church
Whether you are a newcomer, a 10-year member, or a 50+ year member, think about what this church contributes to your life. Think about what you want our future story to be. Think about how a generous offering from you can help make that future real.
Rectory kitchen renovations * Outside railings * Minor roof repair above rectory * Music Room renovation * 5 room renovation for Sunday School (original school rooms above the church) * Gym bathroom sink and toilet replacements
- Required safety repairs to the gym - fire alarm, up-to-date emergency doors, exit lights and signs.
- First floor parish office renovations so that all parish staff is on the first floor.
- Efficient heating and AC replacement for the rectory and church.
There has been no AC since 2016 and the heating does not working
- Rectory renovations for residence of priests